We are still celebrating National Apple Month. Do you like to cook and bake with apples? I know I do – and my family enjoys it too.
Amish Friendship starter is one of the easiest starters to work with and the apple bread recipe makes some of the best bread EVER! It is absolutely moist and delicious! If you are hesitant to try starters for making bread, I highly recommend you try the Amish Friendship starter I posted a few years ago. It is perfect for fall and can last through the winter to contribute to fresh baked deliciousness!
Here is my favorite recipe for using the starter – and it’s PERFECT for National Apple Month! I baked a few loaves for Roy’s grandmother one time and she requested it for every visit after that. It is great for breakfast or snacking and for giving as a gift!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup Amish Friendship Starter
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 2 apples – peeled, cored and finely chopped (I always use Golden Delicious)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two 9×5 loaf pans.
- Stir all dry ingredients together in large mixing bowl.
- In medium mixing bowl stir together the starter, eggs, oil and vanilla. Slowly add dry ingredients until just blended. Add nuts and apples and divide into the prepared pans.
- Bake 50 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
I hope you give it a try and enjoy a piece warm from the oven!