My in laws have been sharing a lot of fresh produce with us lately, some of which ends up in our little guinea pig community (ahem), but some of which I get to use and enjoy. Now I am a HUGE fan of fried zucchini. When we had a garden growing up, I could not WAIT until the zucchini came into the house because it meant we would get to fry it up and it was always yummy.
But my family doesn’t enjoy it as much as I do, and since we struggle to eat veggies anyway, I thought I’d just bite the bullet and look in my mom’s cookbook to see what other magnificent ways I could use zucchini.
And then I found it. A Chocolate Zucchini cake. SCORE! My girls will eat just about anything chocolate.
huh. wonder where they got that?
Anyway – it was super easy to make and pretty quick to bake and we were all enjoying bites after supper last night. And they even had some for breakfast this morning. After all – it HAS zucchini in it!!!
- 1¾ cup white sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- ⅔ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup baking cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 cups zucchini, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup pecans, chopped & toasted
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil on medium speed for 1 minute. Add egg, egg whites, applesauce, and vanilla; beat 1 minute longer. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; add to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until blended. Stir in zucchini.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts; bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
The great part is – everybody likes it! Can’t keep their hands off it, in fact…